Monday, August 8, 2011

Blog Question

To whom it may concern,

I am a rising senior in college majoring in biology/pre-medical studies. I am in the process of applying to medical school and taking my mcats. I have a great respect for the military and have often thought about a medical career in the military. My question concerns becoming a USAF pararescue. Have you heard of anyone that was accepted to medical school and then chose to enter the military for 4 years and after their contract finished went to medical school? I have visited the USAF link on the pararesuce operators, but would love to learn more information. Thank you for all the sacrafices you have made.

Very respectfully,
CS


CS,

Thank you for contacting the Pararescue Doctors Association. I believe your question was "Have you heard of anyone that was accepted to medical school and then chose to enter the military for 4 years and after their contract finished went to medical school?"

I have heard of applicants who were accepted and subsequently requested a delayed start (for extraordinary conditions), however, I've never heard of someone getting in and putting off medical school for an entire enlistment. Think of it from a schools point of view - would you save a highly desired/competative seat for somebody who preferred to be a Pararescueman rather than a medical student? Moreover, would you save a seat for someone that may indeed never return? Most schools are going to want you to fully commit or return at a later point in time when you can. As for your potentially saved seat, you'd probably have to ask the specific school you are applying to. I'm sure by now you've discovered that each school handles their operations a little different.

If you're having second thoughts about being a physician and are interested in becoming a PJ (or other armed forces soldier), you may want to reconsider applying to medical school. Each career requires 100% of your heart and mind and any uncertainties will be exposed during either path. Do some more reading, researching, and soul searching and then go after one with everything you have. You're already on the right track asking questions and being proactive. I hope this helps in some way.

RC

3 comments:

  1. CS,

    No.

    I was in Pararescue for 9 years and am now finishing up my residency.

    If you want to be a Pararescueman do it now. Do not apply for med school and do not take the MCATs. Save your time and money. Finish your degree and work out like an animal. Run, swim, and do cals.

    Med schools will not appreciate giving you a slot only for you to turn it down. It is better not even to come up on their radar until you are fully committed to the course. Med school is a big commitment in terms of time and finances. Four years for school and at least three years of residency. Then you have to start your practice which takes time and effort. Essentially, once you're on the path, your on it for good. There really is not much time for anything else.

    If you want to be a PJ you need to do it now. Regarding med school, I can tell you that becoming a Pararescueman will enhance your chances to be accepted.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CS,

    You will need to commit to one or the other. Medical school will always be there, always. However, you only have a short period in time in your life to do something as extraordinary as Pararescue. You give the career field everything you have and you will be rewarded with friends and life experiences that will almost guarantee your success in your future endeavors. Make sure you are 100% certain Pararescue is what you want to do, because if not, the instructors have ways of getting those second thoughts out of you...and you'll be in a desk job for four years.

    Plus, you can always go reserve after your active time and get to do both...like me. (Part-time PJ and full-time medical student).

    Never Quit!

    PJ GS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to UCLA for 5 years right out of High School. After graduating I wanted a break from the books and I knew that I could go to medical at any point in my life but doing something special like being a PJ had more of an age limitation. I spent 5 years in the AF as cone/then PJ and I am currently in the reserve. Like PJ GS stated I gained so many life experiences, good times, and friends. I wouldn’t do it any other way.

    Further I am now applying to medical school. I applied to 6 schools and I have 3 interviews so far with a 3.4 and a 30. So not only did PJ provide me with a great time, great friends, but also made me much more likely to get into medical school.

    ReplyDelete