Thursday, June 23, 2011

Pre Med / Pre CRO Inquiries

Hello,

I saw your blog about the transition from pararescue to medical school, and it is very useful. However, I am not in the military yet, but I am interested in becoming a pararescueman/combat rescue officer. My questions are: could I possibly attend college, and step right into medical school, and then become a combat rescue officer? Or, would it be better to join the reserves as an enlistee after my medical school is complete? Or, could the Air Force possibly fund my med school while i am serving as a combat rescue officer, or enlisted pararescueman? Preferably, I would like to become an officer, but I am just not sure what the best option would be,concerning med school and pararescue.

Thank you.
-Austin


Austin,

I'm not a MD (yet) nor am I a CRO but I am a prior PJ and I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1) Yes, you could go to college, go to med school and become a CRO after. However, you would still need to enlist in the Air Force (either Active, Guard or Reserve) and complete the pre-requisites for selection school (this is something we call phase 2 and from what I'm told it's equally as difficult as selection school which you will also need to complete after phase 2). All in all, the aforementioned road would most likely take you well over 12 years to complete so if you choose to go down it be sure you're in it to win it.

2) As for joining the reserves after medical school: this is something you'd have to weigh out (i.e. where you live at the time, whether you still want to be a CRO at the time, what experiences/contacts you've had/made over the years that could influence your decision at the time). It's not a question of what's better but rather what's best for you.

3) As for the Air Force funding your medical school: this is something that current MD's might be able to better answer but I'll give you what little I know. Having medical school paid for is something that's both feasible and smart. I know a current Air Force MD that attended the Air Force Academy for his undergraduate degree, became an officer, got in to Northwestern medical school and had it all paid for by big blue. Note he owed the country some time after his med school was completed. He did not become a CRO but if that's something you want and you have the drive for, I'm sure you could do it. I'm not spun up on being a MD and at the same time being a CRO in the Air Force but I do believe there are a few individuals out there right now that hold both of those titles and are working to create an entirely new AFSC (job code) in the Air Force. Hopefully, they have a minute to help a brother out but hang in there as these men are super busy, respectfully.

Personally, I enlisted straight into the active Air Force from high school and went into Pararescue. Looking back, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. But I didn't have too many options at that point in time. Consider all of your current options and talk to as many (respected) people as you can and gather advice. After you reflect on that advice, make your own educated decision. It sounds as if you really want to be an officer - so try to talk with some officers (specifically CROs). I'm glad you found our blogsite - hopefully you receive some solid info from the dudes apart of it. You're already on the right path asking questions. Hopefully, my response helps some. We need to take time and help out our future warriors!

Hoo ya,
Rat

9 comments:

  1. Austin, You need to understand that you would spend 4 years in med school and then 3 to 7 years in residency in order to become a certified physician. Its at that point when you will finally be ready to practice medicine. Why become a CRO? You would waste 11 years of medical education. If you wanted to become a reserve CRO after med school and residency then you would have to spend 2 to 3 years full time in the air force becoming a CRO and it would be impossible for you to practice medicine. As a CRO you would not be authorized to practice medicine in the AF. I advise you to pick one and do it because doing both would not be feasible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about doing ROTC, getting a commission in the USAF, spending a few years as a CRO for the experience/achievement, and then attending the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
      and getting a medical degree to be a doctor in the USAF?

      Delete
  2. I hope this thread is still active...
    I have a question that is a little like Austin's.
    I'm going to go to college for pre-med (3 year coarse) and get my Associates in nursing. I don't plan on being a nurse, but I want to get some knowledge and background before I enlist in the Air Force and try out for Pararescue. Do you think this is a good or logical path?

    ReplyDelete
  3. An associates in nursing is not needed. You will get all the medical training you need (and them some) during the Pararescue Paramedic Course.

    PJ GS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a question, If I go to try out for pararescue and make it do it till I'm 35 could I get a medical job right away or what would be the best way to do it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    I have a question that is similar to Austin's but slightly different. I am already a graduate and I am looking to join the AF prior to attending medical school. I am looking at either PJ or CRO and am for sure going to strive to get one of those positions before I even apply to medical school. I don't care to pay for medical school on my own, and I just want to serve and get that experience first. My question is about which route is a good one to take (PJ or CRO) if I am interested in becoming a doctor. I do understand that PJ get more hands on medical experience than CRO do, but is it a substantial difference? Will I still be able to treat and save soldiers as a CRO? Also what are the advantages of being a CRO over a PJ?

    Thank you,

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex,
      I am in essentially the same boat as you are despite the fact that I am currently in my 4th year of college now. If you have learned anything more in the last year or so about which option is best for an aspiring medical student, I would greatly appreciate it!

      Thanks,
      Kyle

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about doing ROTC, getting a commission in the USAF, spending a few years as a CRO for the experience/achievement, and then attending the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
    and getting a medical degree to be a doctor in the USAF?

    ReplyDelete